Friday, August 11, 2017

Friday Focus - Dina Wakley Media Heavy Body Paints (part two)

Hi everyone and welcome! It's Jenny here with the second part of the latest Friday Focus - this is where we take the opportunity to shine a spotlight on a particular product or range currently in stock at The Funkie Junkie Boutique. For the next week Dina Wakley Media Heavy Body Paints will have the special extra 15% discount applied so if you're already a fan or want to try them out now is the time to give it a go! There are smaller 1oz bottles as well as the larger 2oz tubes if you are just trying them out.

As a lover of all things painty I was excited to try these paints for the first time and find out what made them different from those I use regularly. And since there are lots of card-makers out there who may feel paints are just for canvases I decided to create two cards and experiment with a few techniques. Today I'll share the first second of those and show you how it came together - here's the first tutorial if you missed it last week.


The second card I created has more of a journal style feel to it, a bit more abstract and 'arty'. Here's how it came together (if you click on each photo you'll get a closer look at them).


I started by swiping an uneven layer of Vintage Distress Collage Medium over a piece of white card using a spatula.


Once dry I repeated the process with Blushing Heavy Body Paint.


To get more texture into the design I mixed Ruby Heavy Body Paint with some water and swiped it over the top with an old brush (to get the distinct bristle marks).


For a touch of drama I used the same Ruby paint, this time undiluted and in larger amounts, applying it with a smaller brush. The heavy body nature of this paint means it keeps it's dimension when dry.


I used the group of smaller blooms from the Abstract Blooms stamp set with the Evergreen Heavy Body Paint (picked up directly from my craft mat) and stamped them randomly over the background.


To brighten the design I repeated this process with the Lime Heavy Body Paint.


I added lines by dragging my spatula through Umber Heavy Body Paint and pressing it on to the card edge side down.


To finish the background I blended Old Paper Distress Ink over the card. The ink was resisted on the areas covered in paint and Collage Medium to give an uneven look. The card was then cut so that one part would fit a square card blank. The extra piece was added as one of the layers on my first card (from last week).


To finish I stamped one of the heads from the Homage To Frida stamp set on thin tissue with black archival ink and added it to the background with Matte Distress Collage Medium. Stitching around the edge with black cotton created an uneven border. Then adding a row of white lace flowers and the words bloom and grow (stamped onto white card) created the horizon line, balanced by adding white details to the head dress with a Dyan Reavley paint pen.

Here are a couple of close ups to show the details;



That's it for this week and the second part of the Friday Focus on Dina Wakley Media Heavy Body Paints. I hope you feel inspired to give them a go (if you haven't already) and remember, the extra 15% discount will be applied through August 17th.

Make sure you join us here at Frilly and Funkie for a new Saturday step by step. For now have a great creative weekend! Jenny xxx


6 comments:

  1. Again such cool background work and what a lovely Freida inspired card! Love it! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous card Jenny, I just love colours you chose, especially the beautiful lime green and the white highlighting really does enhance the lovely image! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your first Friday focus using these wonderful paints and this is just as fab! Love how you used the paints in the striking background to highlight you beautiful image!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I'm totally intimidated by paint, this was really helpful. I loved the process photos and clear explanation of the "why" and "how." I feel inspired to experiment! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you Jenny! Love the colors you chose! Beautiful spread!
    Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The results of your first tutorial were amazing, but I think I like this even more with the bright colors and the contrast of the white elements. Gorgeous background work and a fabulous tutorial that inspires me to give this a go! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete